Friday, September 3, 2010

Settling In

The routines are beginning to establish themselves. The potato and fish theory still stands. We even made mashed potatoes P8310025to go with our pulsar while camping last night! It is hard to believe that it has already been ten days but at the same time, there is a feeling that it has been a matter of weeks or even months. On the other hand, home is still in Canada. It is a new place, there are new things, and there are new friends. Even after ten days, Sindre and I have just discovered some pegs in our room for hanging coats. I also spent the first seven nights in my sleeping bag, and only got around to purchasing bedding on Monday. While I expect many surprises to come (haha), things are starting to feel a little bit more familiar.

P8300012We have just returned from a three day hike to the school cabin. As it turns out, it was only a two day hike, and weren’t staying in a cabin. Something must have been lost in translation. It was a good time in beautiful Norwegian wilderness, but the hiking paths have me impatiently awaiting the arrival of my mountain bike. I borrowed Nils’ bike the other day for a ride with my class.

 

 P8310026

As you can see, the scenery is striking. I am very lucky to be hiking and skiing here.

 P8310027 P8310015

 P9010042 P8310037

I have acquired a significant Norwegian vocabulary. Hiking the land of my forefathers seems to accelerate my ability to learn the language. To date, I can list over two hundred words. Understanding what they say though? With all of their dialects, they can hardly understand each other!

P8310018

Bye for now.

P8310033P8310040

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hans,
    I'm also a person from Edmonton Nordic who is in Norway this year (Les probably told you). Anyway I thought I'd quickly introduce myself with a note here!
    I'm studying at the Telemark University College in Bø. You're welcome to come visit if you want to see the area or are just passing through.
    I really like your blog. Sounds like a busy and fun time. I can totally identify with some of the stuff you described! Super pictures also!
    Well, have a great year! Bye,
    Maja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maja!
    Yes, Les did let me know you were studying here, and he probably put you up to contacting me? Haha. I'm not too sure what I'm doing during the holidays yet, I have lots of options but we can definitely keep in touch. I'm sure we would have a good time! Thanks for saying hi,
    Hans

    ReplyDelete